Please find some background information as well as several ways we can pray for Sikhs below. Download a pdf version here.
CALL TO PRAYER FOR SIKHS
Sikhism is the world’s fifth largest religion with 27 million adherents worldwide. Approximately 21 million Sikhs live in India (2011 census). It’s the fourth largest religion in India. Punjab has the highest population of Sikhs, followed by Haryana, Rajasthan, Uttar Pradesh and Delhi. Sikhs are found in almost every state of India and in over 51 other countries.
Sikhism is a monotheistic distinct religion with its own unique, divine scriptures and beliefs. The Sikh religion originated in the Punjab region of India in the 15th century by Guru Nanak Dev and this year 550th anniversary (1469-2019) is being celebrated as Prakash Purab (Light festival) with much enthusiasm.
There is no caste system in Sikhism but social stratification exists in the Sikh community. Prominent ones are (in no particular order): Jat (agrarian), Khatri, Arora (traders), sainis (kshatriyas), Ramgarhias (artisans), Ahluwalias, Kambojs, Kumhars, Labana (merchants), Rai Sikh, Mazhabis and the Ravidasias.
There was mass movement among Mazhabis in 19th century, which saw many of them turning to the Lord. Otherwise Sikhs had been mostly unresponsive to the gospel except for some individual transformations. Notable among them were Sadhu Sunder Singh and Bhakt Singh. But in recent times many are turning to the Lord. We are hearing stories of amazing transformations taking place. There are a sizable number of disciples among Rai Sikhs, mostly in Rajasthan, Uttar Pradesh and Uttarakhand. Now is the time to reach out to our Sikh neighbors.
Here are some prayer points
- Pray that each Sikh person will have an opportunity to hear the Gospel and respond to it.
- Pray that the Lord will appear to Sikhs in visions and dreams and they will believe in the incarnation of Jesus.
- Pray that Sikhs will realize that Jesus is Sat Guru (True Guru).
- Pray that vibrant worshiping groups will be established among Sikhs all over the world.
- Pray for a church in every village, town, city and locality where Sikhs are living.
- Pray that all believers will be burdened to reach Sikhs in their vicinity.
- Pray that the global Church will engage in witnessing to Sikhs in diaspora.
- Pray that many gospel workers will be raised up to reach Sikhs in every location.
- Pray that there will be people group movements in all social groups among the Sikhs.
- Pray that the entire Rai Sikh group will be discipled. Please pray for the ministry of Rashtriya Susamachar Parishad among Rai Sikhs in Haryana, Uttarakhand and Uttar Pradesh.
- Pray that the large number of women believers may be built up in their faith and will engage in transforming families.
- Pray for Punjabi evangelistic literature (tracts, booklets, etc) written both in Gurumukhi and Devanagari script will be available.
- Pray for the development of training programmes for equipping gospel workers for ministry to Sikhs.
- Pray that Sikh background believers (SBB) will be strengthened in their faith and will become vibrant witnesses.
- Pray for the salvation of at least five Sikhs by name.
- Please ask the Lord to lead you in prayer for your area.
Thank you for praying. God bless you!
ATTEMPT GREAT THINGS FOR THE LORD
AND EXPECT GREAT THINGS FROM GOD